Quality Manual – ISO 9001 Manual is a typical form of main document used in drawing up and implementing a quality system. It is expected to provide an adequate description of the Management intention to fulfill system requirement while serving as a permanent reference for implementation and maintenance of the system.
Steps to be followed while preparing ISO 9001 Manual
- An ISO 9001 Manual should be first evolved by the Chief Executive. He can take the help of senior managers.
- A person from the steering committee who is from the top management should write the Quality Manual. In most of the cases, the management representative writes the manual.
- Based on the company’s ISO 9001 Quality Policy, the broad objectives and activities for each department have to be decided and fitted into the relevant clauses. For this, the department heads should give draft write-up of the activities in their department. Then it should be meticulously scrutinized to ensure that the system is sufficient to achieve the company’s Quality Policy objectives or benchmarks. The clauses applicable to each department of the company are identified.
- Organisation chart should be chalked out and the responsibility and authority of each personnel mentioned in the organisation chart should be documented. Personnel authorized to take decisions must be included in the organisation chart. Preparation of the chart will help in identifying and documenting the responsibility for activities under each clause.
- A suitable numbering system, department wise and clause wise should be decided which can be made applicable to the remaining tiers of documentation. This will help in cross-referencing ISO 9001 quality manual with other tiers of documentation like, procedures, work instructions and records. It is very important that all the tiers should have cross linkages with each other.
- No confidential document / procedure should be included in the Quality Manual because it is an open document.
- After preparing the draft of ISO 9001 Manual it should be circulated to all department heads to ensure that there is no discrepancy or that no important activity it left out.
- After their approval, the final draft should be prepared. The final draft should have company name and logo, issue number, issue date, controlled-copy identification on each page, page number and signature of preparing and approving authority.